“A few abilities and damage type mechanics have been reworked. There are now three primary damage types and a Spell Immunity Piercing status with each. Each ability now carries a notation in the tooltip indicating these.
The three damage types are Physical, Magical and Pure.
Physical is affected by Physical Armor, Magical is affected by Magical Damage Resistance and Pure is affected by neither.
Magic Immunity has now been renamed to Spell Immunity. Spell Immunity only defines if Spells interact with it, not how damage itself is handled. This means that on its own Spell Immunity status does not reduce any damage.
Black King Bar, Repel, Rage and all other previous forms of “”Magic Immunity”” now grant Spell Immunity status and a 100% Magic Resistance bonus.
In the vast majority of cases, the interactions are still the same, however an example of a case that would be different is if an ability has both Spell Immunity exception and has Pure damage type. Previously the damage would not have any impact, however now it does.
Ability Tooltips now have these fields:
-Damage Type: Physical/Magical/Pure
-Pierces Spell Immunity: Yes/No
If the Damage Type is not Magical it will be colored differently to make it easier to notice. The same is true in cases where Pierces Spell Immunity is Yes.
There have been a few abilities rebalanced with these mechanics in mind. In some cases the intent is to maintain similar balance, in other cases as an adjustment to their balance.
- Acid Spray damage type from Composite to Physical (still pierces Spell Immunity)
- Acid Spray damage reduced from 14/20/26/32 to 12/16/20/24
- Nightmare damage from HP Removal to Pure
- Wild Axes damage type from Composite to Physical (still pierces Spell Immunity)
- Wild Axes damage reduced from 90/120/150/180 to 70/100/130/160
- Primal Split Earth Spirit’s Pulverize damage type from Magical that pierces Spell Immunity to Magical (No longer pierces Spell Immunity)
- Doom damage type changed from Magical that pierces Spell Immunity to Pure that pierces Spell Immunity
- Doom damage reduced from 30/50/70 to 20/35/50 (Aghanim’s Scepter from 50/80/110 to 40/60/80)
- Echo Slam initial attack is now the same Magic damage type as the rest of its damage (initial damage no longer pierces Spell Immunity)
- Midnight Pulse damage type changed from Magical that Pierces Spell Immunity to Pure that Pierces Spell Immunity
- Midnight Pulse damage reduced from 4/5/6/7% to 3/3.75/4.5/5.25%
- Diabolic Edict damage type changed from Composite to Physical (still pierces Spell Immunity)
- Diabolic Edict damage reduced from 12.5/25/37.5/50 to 9/18/27/36
- Diabolic Edict now deals 40% more damage to towers (same overall damage per second as before)
- Laguna Blade Aghanim’s Scepter damage type changed from Magical that Pierces Spell Immunity to Pure that Pierces Spell Immunity
- Laguna Blade Aghanim’s Scepter no longer increases damage, only the damage type is changed [?]
- Spirit Bear death now deals 10% max health as Pure damage instead of 100/200/300/400 composite damage
- Heartstopper Aura is now negative regeneration instead of HP Removal [?]
- Land Mines damage type from Composite to Physical (still pierces Spell Immunity)
- Land Mines damage reduced from 300/400/500/600 to 225/300/375/450
- Suicide Squad, Attack! damage type from Composite to Physical (still pierces Spell Immunity)
- Suicide Squad, Attack! damage reduced from 650/850/1150/1550 (350/400/450/500 partial) to 500/650/850/1150 (260/300/340/380)
- March of the Machines damage type changed from Magical that pierces Spell Immunity to Magical that does not pierce Spell Immunity
- Wave of Terror damage type from HP Removal to Pure that Pierces Spell Immunity
- Fatal Bonds now shares the same damage type that is dealt into it, before it is reduced [?]
- Fatal Bonds damage percentage from 20% to 25%
- Flaming Fists damage type from Magical that pierces Spell Immunity to Magical (No longer pierces Spell Immunity)
- Last Will damage type from Pure to Magical (Still does not pierce Spell Immunity)
- Last Will damage increased from 400/500/600 to 550/675/800
Urn of Shadows
- Changed from HP Removal to Pure
1) Composite Damage: This damage type has been removed. There are no longer any abilities which use Composite Damage.
2) HP Removal: This is no longer considered a Damage Type, and its remaining uses are as an alternative cost to Mana for spells to use (Sunray, Burning Spears) or as functional HP modifications (Armlet, Sunder, etc). These are now considered usage costs in the game and are never lethal.”